Wednesday, January 26, 2011

East Berlin and Such

Yesterday, I took a train to East Berlin because I wanted to see what the difference between the eastern city and where I live in Lichterfelde is. It's really a much bigger difference than I expected there to be. There are a lot of Soviet style buildings, which remind me of the Soviet Union and Russia, and warehouses everywhere. On the S-Bahn there were a lot of Russian speaking people and I saw a few signs for Sauna (Баня) and such. It was really nice. Aside from that Russian neighborhood, I found a Russian grocery store and hairdresser in the Western part of the city - the prospect of a haircut soon seems good.

Let's see, other than that I've been to the Holocaust memorial near Brandenburger Tor. It's basically a square block of different leveled pillars on different level ground. The point is that while walking through it, you feel lost in the sea of pillars - overwhelmed. It was a grey day and I was annoyed because a lot of the tourists in the memorial were playing hide-and-seek. I think I'll go back next time on a weekday and alone.

The Russian War Memorial was next. It's strange to stand over a mass-grave and to read the plaques that are dedicated to the soliders that died during the Battle of Berlin. I did find one name that was my family's last name on the memorial. I don't think we are related to the soldier that's remembered there but I might do some research. We'll see.

Also, I went to the Neues Museum and saw the Bust of Nefertiti. The little kid in me that was obsessed with being an Egyptologist (still a secret goal, btw) was extremely happy.

I feel like I use this blog mostly to write down what I did and what I feel about tourist attractions. I need to start writing more about how I'm feeling...

So far, I'm not really feeling homesick. I do miss my family and my sorority but I'm having fun here and enjoying everything I do. Aside from the fact that it's really boring in my apartment at night (lack of good Internet and not being able to understand what's on TV does that), I am usually always doing something. I go out to the Mitte or around the city. There's always some one that's willing to come out and explore with me. Sometimes I go alone - it's fine. Maybe in a while it will change, but so far I haven't really felt any homesickness. Not that I'm complaining at all. At this point, I don't want to leave Berlin. Ever.


One thing that is overwhelming, though there isn't really a culture shock, is the feeling of being really foreign. In the sense of being "the Foreigner." I am always confused, holding up lines, or asking people to repeat themselves when they ask me something in the store. I would always hate those people what in the States and now I am one of them. It's frustrating to not be able to respond! I can usually understand the gist of what people are saying, but I can never for a sentence quickly enough.

When I get home I'll be far more understanding of those traveling through Palo Alto or SF.

Nothing else on my mind so far. Maybe I'll think of something else to update about soon. Checkpoint Charlie tomorrow and maybe the zoo this weekend. I want to see Knut!

No comments:

Post a Comment